26 March 2013

VIDEO: R&R short movie winner

.
The short film entries to the Rock&Roll competition were of a high standard.
The New South Wales Club hosts a yearly sea kayak symposium that attracts paddling talents from around Australia and invites international guests to run clinics.
This year a large number of the short movies presented were focused on high skills (and thrills) of paddling dynamic waters, often in big seas meeting cliffy shoreline.
I enjoyed the bravado captured on camera displayed by the local talent: the videos were highly entertaining and inspiring.
And then there were Vincent's entries.
He presented two movies that immediately transported me to his unique world of paddling. There was a magic feeling when I watched his skilfully edited footage; something about the soft evening light combined with soothing music.


select HD if you have fast Internet connection and allow the movie to load before viewing

I love the understatement that the music brings to his high action scenes; it is an approach to movie making out of the ordinary. The surfing action excites me while the music wants to calm me; it stirs conflicting emotions in me that at the end, at the closing scene, leave with a smile wanting to paddle those waves.
I asked Vincent what does kayaking mean to him:
>>
It feels wonderful out on the water in a sea kayak, especially in the low light of early morning or late evening.
I usually don’t travel too far to paddle, and am lucky enough to live 12 minutes drive, from my nearest surf beach or lakes in a relatively undeveloped National Park.
I love the durability of my plastic sea kayak because it magically gets attracted to rocks and sand banks.
After snapping a couple of other paddles, I’m now really happy with the strength of my one piece carbon Greenland paddle.
For me, finding out ‘what rings your bells’ as a paddler is part of the pleasure of kayaking.
The most important thing is that you are out on the water, having fun.
<<
 
"Dedicated to the independent paddlers that think outside the box willing to try new things and embrace diversity; to the kayakers that like to dance to the tune of their own music."
.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats to Vince for winning the 1st prize and hats off to you Damiano for promoting a friendly competition between video makers.

    It would be good to see a category for the pros, like you and one for the rest of us boffins.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment.
Because of spam received from unwanted manufacturers/retailers all comments are now moderated. Allow a few days for your comment to appear when the operators of GnarlyDog News are on safari.